Denver BLU-U® Light Treatment
The Blu-U light treatment rejuvenates the skin while addressing mild to severe acne and sun damage
What is the Blu-U Light Treatment?
The Blu-U® device is a non-invasive and pain-free blue light treatment that can be used for moderate acne either alone or combined with an amino-levulanic acid known as Levulan Photodynamic Therapy (PDT). The Blu-U® can also be used to treat actinic keratosis which is a pre-cancerous lesion commonly found in people with a history of sun exposure.
What does the Levulan Photodynamic Therapy do?
Levulan Photodynamic treatments involve the application of Levulan ( 5-aminolevulinic acid), a photosensitizing agent, which is then activated with blue-light. Levulan Photodynamic Therapy results in significant improvement in moderate to severe cystic acne and skin rejuvenation.
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy -Levulan Acne Skin Care Treatment
Blue Light Levulan Photodynamic Therapy for acne treatment involves three mechanisms of action against acne. Levulan PDT inactivates the bacteria that trigger acne, exfoliates the skin to unclog pores, and lastly the levulan treatment shuts down the sebaceous glands in the skin. This is greatly effective because sebaceous glands are the root cause in the formation of acne so it has a long lasting effect even on severe acne. You cannot be pregnant to undergo this treatment as well as discontinue using retin-A 1 week prior and accutane 1 year prior to avoid any complications.
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy is for:
- • Reduces precancerous skin lesions
- • Preventing skin cancer
- • Improving wrinkles
- • Improving pores
- • Improving skin texture
- • Improving pigmentation
- • Treating moderate to severe cystic acne
- • Treating sebaceous hyperplasia
- • Rosacea
BLU- U Procedure (To address p. acne and maintain bacteria within the skin):
- • Our aesthetician will have you sit in the treatment chair under the Blu U light for twenty minutes and this helps break down the p. acne within the skin
- • There is no downtime or any pain and you can continue with your day as usual
BLU- U and PDT (To address mild to severe acne, sun damage, or skin rejuvenation):
- • Our aesthetician will apply the Levulan to the entire face.
- • You will then incubate for 2 hours letting the Levulan sit on face alone
- • You will be given special goggles to wear to protect your eyes during the treatment.
- • During the treatment you may feel stinging, tingling, prickling, or burning of the lesions, but this should go away after the treatment.
- • The treatment lasts about 16 min
- • You should stay out of the sun and bright light as much as possible for the next 48 hours
- • The skin will turn red and swollen in the following 3-7 days
- • Some crusting may be noted
- • There should be some discomfort, but no significant pain.
- • After 1 week, there might be some residual redness that will subside after a few days and can be covered with make up.
BLU-U, PDT and IPL (To address acne, pigment, sun damage and skin rejuvenation):
- • Our aesthetician will apply the Levulan to the entire face
- • Incubate for 1 hour
- • Numbing cream will then be applied to prepare for the IPL (intense pulsed light) and will incubate for another hour
- • Our aesthetician will then do the IPL treatment to entire face, focusing on minimizing pore size, pigment either from sun damage or hormones, and redness from acne or any vascular redness.
- • After the IPL you will be placed under the BLU-U for approximately 10 minutes
- • Follow guidelines from BLU-U and PDT for what to expect after treatment
How soon do you see results and how many treatments do you need?
Most can expect to see results within 1-2 weeks. You can maintain your results from every month to every 6 months depending on what you are trying to accomplish with your skin. This you can discuss with our aesthetician who will be able to give you the best guidance once the results are seen from the treatment.
Want to learn more about BLU-U Light, CLICK HERE to be redirected to the BLU-U Light website.